LET’S GET THIS DONE! Regardless of your personal views of Governor Cuomo or his politics on any other issue, if you live, work or travel in New York, or plan to, please CALL Governor Cuomo TODAY and simply deliver the message that you are “calling to respectfully request that Governor Cuomo please sign S6483-A/A9042-A,” and then thank him. Please be POLITE and RESPECTFUL and REMAIN ON POINT.
This is not the time to berate the Governor about any other political issues – stay on message. IF YOU CAN’T DO THAT, PLEASE DO NOT CALL or EMAIL!
518-474-8390 and Press #3
be asked to leave a message.)
with him online. If you are a masochist, you can go to:
www.governor.ny.gov/contact and fill out the lengthy form
(for “Topic” select: “Criminal Justice”). WE RECOMMEND CALLING.
In addition to Knife Rights, S6483-A/A9042-A has been endorsed by:
- Brooklyn Defender Services
- Congressional Sportsmen’s Foundation
- International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers
- Legal Aid Society
- Local One International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees (AFL-CIO)
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People – Legal Defense Fund
- National Rifle Association
- New York Civil Liberties Union (NY chapter of ACLU)
- New York State Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- New York State Defenders Association
- New York Times Editorial Board
- Safari Club International
- Sheet Metal Workers International Association (AFL-CIO)
- The Katal Center
- UAW Local 2325 – Association of Legal Aid Attorneys (AFL-CIO)
- Urban Justice Center
- U.S. Representative Hakeem Jeffries (D-8)
New York State’s Office of Court Administration called for reform of the law to prevent these arrests and prosecutions, although it has not specifically endorsed this bill.
S6483-A/A9042-A, sponsored by Assemblyman Dan Quart and Senator Diane Savino, add clarifying “bias-toward closure” exclusions to the state’s gravity knife switchblade definitions, similar to that included in the revision to the Federal Switchblade Act that Knife Rights helped pass in 2009. This clarifying exclusion will prevent the bogus Gravity Knife arrests and prosecutions of honest law-abiding individuals in New York City who are carrying common folding knives, tools that are legal to carry everywhere else in New York State and commonly carried legally throughout the U.S.
Neither Gravity Knives nor Switchblades have a bias towards closure found in common folding knives to keep the blade safely closed in the pocket. Only in New York City has the NYPD and District Attorney Cyrus Vance, Jr. abused the state’s gravity knife law to prosecute those carrying common pocket knives by claiming they are illegal Gravity Knives.
The Village Voice newspaper found two years ago that there had been as many as 60,000 gravity-knife prosecutions over the previous decade! Legal Aid Society has confirmed that hundreds of innocent pocket knife carriers are being arrested every week in New York City! You can read the Village Voice article at: http://bit.ly/1MiJbvv